2.7 Editing Forum

Learning Target (Curricular Competencies):

• Use the conventions of Canadian spelling, grammar, and punctuation proficiently and as appropriate to the context
  • Assess and refine texts to improve clarity and impact
  • Respectfully exchange ideas and viewpoints from diverse perspectives to build shared understanding and extend thinking

Task:

With the growth of text messaging and social media, correct punctuation and grammar have taken a back seat to new language like LOL, gtg, btw, etc.. Capitalization and other grammar conventions are sometimes lost in the haste of typing a post on the phone. Take a look at the examples below.

dictionary grammer example

Write a text message conversation where one person is using poor grammar and the other person is correcting her/him. Incorporate some of the most common grammar errors into your dialogue. Each person should have at least 5 lines.

Check out this site that English teachers find humorous. Public and embarrassing grammar errors.

There are TWO activities in a FORUM:

1. Start a new discussion topic by clicking on Add a New Discussion Topic. Add your dialogue.
    2. Reply/Respond to someone else's discussion topic by clicking on their topic and selecting Reply. Comment thoughtfully. Make an observation. Ask a question.  Try using the following prompts to guide your response to another post.  "I wonder…"  "I know…"  "I can…"  Don't just agree or disagree.

Assessment:  Below you will find the exemplary criteria used to assess the assignment.  

Learning Target: (Exemplary 6/6): Exemplary comprehension of the task and clear accomplishment of the objective.  Student demonstrates exemplary ability to develop and punctuate dialogue and assess and refine text to improve clarity and impact.  Accomplishes the purpose with originality, individuality, and maturity and sophistication.

Response/Reply:  Exemplary (6/6):  The response/reply is thoughtful, insightful and respectfully exchanges ideas and viewpoints.  Student demonstrates an exceptional level of understanding and communication of shared information.

(There are no discussion topics yet in this forum)